This is a subsidiary post to Faith.
- Faith Is Acceptance of Facts Put in Evidence by God, Often Through Others
- Faith Is in What God Has Said Through an Agent
- References to the Apostles’ Testimony – Through Which We Have Believed in the Lord
- The Word of God Through Men
- We Believe God by Believing Those Whom He Has Sent
We believe God through someone’s testimony about what God has said. In Genesis 2, God gave Adam instructions about what to eat and what not to eat. Eve, being created subsequently, was not present at the moment God gave Adam the instruction and therefore learned about God’s command subsequently through Adam. Since by agency the human race fell into unbelief, by agency it rises to belief (i.e., faith).
John 17:20 – We believe in Jesus through the words of the men He chose: the apostles.
1 Corinthians 3:5 – Paul and the other apostles are servants of the Lord through whom we have believed.
1 Thessalonians 2:13 – The believers in Thessalonica came to be believers in the first place by receiving the word of God from Paul and Silas. Thus the Thessalonians believed through Paul and Silas – that is, the Thessalonians believed God by believing the two people God had sent them.
2 Chronicles 20:20 – Jehoshaphat was encouraging his countrymen to believe God by believing the prophets He sent. Thus the Israelites believed God through the prophets.